Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Ahi Tuna Poke

If there is Tuna Poke on the menu I am ordering it. This dish is just one of those things that I have to have and crave as soon as I see that it's available.


The best part about this recipe is that it is actually super easy to make. Once of course you find all the needed ingredients which for me is at least two stops. I cannot promise you that it is cheap though...that is just what happens when you eat fresh fish...but it is totally worth it to splurge on every now and then.



My hubs and I eat Ahi Tuna Poke a few different ways. Sometimes we make brown rice and throw it all in a bowl (with some seaweed salad too) and eat it for dinner as a meal and sometimes we snack on it with chips like a dip and if we are feeling real fancy we serve it already presented on the chip or cracker...that is for when people come over and we are in the mood to impress.


Below is my recipe for Ahi Tuna Poke. To be honest though pretty much all Tuna Poke recipes are the same...a lot of it has to do with preference and seasoning/marinading to taste so have a little fun with this one and make it as spicy or non spicy as you'd like or saltier...I don't use a lot of salt...ever...so you might want to add some in if you are a salt lover!


Serves: 4 as a meal with rice & seaweed salad or up to 12-15 as an appetizer (the whole recipe is not shown in these picture. FYI)
Prep Time: 20 minutes 


What You Will Need:
  1. Fresh Sashimi Grade Ahi Tuna (about 1LB or 2 cups cubed)
  2. Rice Vinegar (2 TBSP)
  3. Low Sodium Soy Sauce (3 TBSP)
  4. Sesame Oil (1/4 cup...I don't fill it to the brim, skimp a tad on the oil)
  5. Pickled Ginger (1/4 cup) 
  6. Black Toasted Sesame Seed (1 TBSP; + more for garnishing)
  7. Rashima Furikake Seasoning: Toasty Sesame, Nori & Bonito Flavor (2TBSP)
  8. Green Onion (1/4 cup chopped)
  9. Sriracha (3 TSP)
  10. Red Chili Flakes (a dash or to taste)
  11. Raw Organic Coconut Sugar (a dash or to taste)
  12. Avocado (1 whole, cubed)
Let's Get Started:
  1. In a bowl combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, chili flakes and coconut sugar.
  2. Slice the tuna into strips and then into cubes. It is very important that you buy sashimi grade tuna and from a reliable source. I go to the fish market. Also, try to get tuna steaks with very few white stripes (connective tissue) as possible to avoid the meat being chewy.  
  3. Pour the sauce mixture over the tuna cubes. (Okay, I lied...sometimes I don't premix my sauce and I just do it all at once in the bowl with the tuna already cubed. I tend to be in a rush a lot. I recommend pre mixing it though.)
  4. Stir in the pickled ginger, sesame seeds, Furikake seasoning and green onion.
  5. Add the avocado at the very end right before serving to prevent browning.
  6. Garnish with pickled ginger, sesame seeds and more Sriracha if you like it hot!

Something to keep in mind when shopping for pickled ginger is that a lot of them are made with aspartame and other ingredients that if you are like me you don't eat. So make sure you read the ingredients. Same with shopping for the seasoning. A lot of asian spices contain MSG, which I also avoid, so I get all natural seasoning and read the ingredients to make sure there is no MSG included. We have a great little Tokyo market that has a non MSG selection that I love.

That's it! It truly is that simple and I promise it is delicious too!

Enjoy!

XO,
Jenna

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I had poke in Hawaii and it was delicious. I thought it was better than most sushi, actually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot get any more fresh than Hawaii. I am sure it was delicious.

      Delete