Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Healthy & Easy Breakfast...Chia Seed Pudding!

If you are like me sometimes you oversleep. I cannot tell you how many times I have woken up with my phone in my sheets and know that I must have turned off the alarm in my sleep. Luckily, I have an internal alarm that doesn't let me sleep past 7:30am. 

Even on these mornings I do not skip breakfast, even if it is as simple as grabbing a Think Thin Bar as I run out the door, I always have something in the morning. I honestly don't know how people don't eat breakfast. I wake up starving and having something already prepared really helps. 
Below is my recipe for Chia Pudding. It is so simple to make and since you have to make it in advance it is always ready to run out the door with you on those mornings you wake up in a mad dash to make your first meeting. 



Serves 1
Prep Time: 2 minutes and then at least one night in the fridge 

What You Will Need:

1 1/2 pint mason jar (1 jar = a serving. I usually make 2-3 at a time) 
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds (I use Black Organic)
Milk or Milk Alternative (I use Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk)
Sweetener (I use Honey but Maple Syrup or Stevia are good options too)

Optional Ingredients:

Shaved Coconut
Cinnamon
Vanilla Extract 

Let's Get Started:

1) Put your Chia Seeds in the jar.

2) Add your milk or milk alternative (for me it is almond milk) to the first ridge of the jar, just below the top but leaving a bit of room for the chia seeds to expand and to stir your pudding in the morning. 

3) At this time you can add a drop of vanilla extract.

4) Stir, or put the lid on and shake.

5) Set your jars in the fridge and walk away...

Yep, it is that easy.

In the morning...

6) Stir in your sweetener (I use honey). You can do this the night before but lately I have been doing it right before eating it. Both ways work.

7) Stir in shaved coconut or cinnamon, if you'd like, and definitely add fruit (berries, bananas and kiwi are a few of my favorites) and voila your breakfast is served. 



If you are in a rush you can take the jar and a banana with you as you run out the door. Such a simple, filling, satisfying and healthy breakfast. 

Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below. If you add anything else that you would like to share I'd love to hear about it as well. 


Fun Fact: Chia Seeds are 40% fiber giving the seed the ability to absorb 10-12x their weight and become gel like making Chia Pudding somewhat like a tapioca pudding as far as consistency and texture as well as keeping you full longer. Also, Chia Seeds contain more Omega-3's than salmon, gram for gram and are loaded in antioxidants to protect these good fats.

Cheers to a healthy lifestyle, everyone. 


XO,
Jenna 

PS-If you have yet to get on the Chia Seed bandwagon I suggest doing some research of the health benefits. I don't just make Chia Seed Pudding I add these little gems to my smoothies, on top of oatmeal and sprinkle them on my yogurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment