Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Homemade Apple Crisp...a Fall Must-Have!

With Thanksgiving less than 24-hours away I am sure more than just a few of us have food on the brain; especially pies...pumpkin pies...apple pies...pecan pies...the list goes on. However, I am over here like "where's the apple crisp?" Am I right? I mean fall and apples go together like turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, wine and well, food! 

This Thanksgiving surprise your friends and family with apple crisp in addition to pie; I am not suggesting you give up the pie...let's not get crazy here. 
Below is my recipe for delicious homemade apple crisp. 

Serves 6-8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes 
Temperature: 375 Degrees
Serve warm (ice cream optional)

What You Will Need:

Apple Mixture:

5 Apples (I used red Envys)
2 Lemons
1/4 Cup Raw Sugar
Dash of Cinnamon (about 1/2 of a tsp or a tad less)
Dash of Ground Cloves (about 1/4 tsp)

Topping:
1/2 Cup Flour
1 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1 Cup Oats (I use Love Grown Foods Super Oats with Chia & Quinoa because it is my favorite oatmeal and we always have it on hand)
1 Stick Unsalted Butter (1/2 Cup)


Let's Get Started:

  1. Peel and slice the apples and place into a mixing bowl. I personally like the peel so I always leave a tiny bit on but this is up to you.  
  2. In the mixing bowl add the juice from two lemons as well as the sugar, cinnamon and ground cloves. 
  3. Toss the apples until each slice is evenly and completely coated.
   
  4.  Let the apples sit while you mix your topping.
  5.  In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, salt and oats; mix well.
  6.  Next cube your stick of butter into 4 sections.
  7.  With a pastry blender or two knives if you don't have a blender cut the butter into your oats and sugar mixture. Continue this step until you have a crumbled oatmeal looking topping.
  8.  Pour the apples into your baking dish (get all the juices in there; I use the lemon juices instead of shortening to coat the dish and prevent sticking. I have never had an issue with sticking but if you are worried you can spray some coconut oil on the dish first.)
  9.  Next, pour your sugary oatmeal topping all over the apples. Yummy goodness is coming your way.
 10. Place your apple crisp in a preheated oven and set the timer to check it after 30 minutes.
 11. If the crust is golden brown after 30 minutes and apples are tender with a fork then your apple crisp is done. If not bake for the full 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown.

Serve warm and with ice cream (optional). We enjoyed our apple crisp the other day with Carmel Apple Pie Gelato by Telanti and it was pure heaven. 

With everything that has been going on in the world lately I feel incredibly blessed and thankful this Thanksgiving. Including being thankful for all of you. Thank you for following me on my blogging journey. 

I hope you all have a fulFILLING Thanksgiving with your loved ones and get the chance to enjoy this delicious fall recipe.


Bon App├ętit!

XO,
Jenna

Check out some of our other yummy recipes for fall below:

Challa Bread (Hanukkah is right around the corner)

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I am OBSESSED with Telanti Carmel Apple Pie Gelato!!! We must be related. Also, I love following your blog and seeing what you're cooking up. Toppie's food genes were not messing around. Miss you. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I love it. Yes, the foodie gene is strong. I love that we all love food so much. Telanti is the best! I might have some for my morning snack now :-) I miss you too...hopefully we can all get together soon. Merry Christmas, Cousin.

      Thank you for following :-)
      XO

      Delete