Thursday, September 1, 2016

Working From Home as a Blogger / Entrepreneur


Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office

As most of you already know I work from home which in my opinion makes it even more crucial to have some sort of daily routine. Otherwise you may end up getting distracted with house chores. Or even worse, binge watching Netflix on a rainy day or at the beach on a sunny day. Not going to lie...I am guilty of all three. But 90% of the time I stick to a routine. 


Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office


Warning, my daily routine is not nearly as glamorous as it would appear to be on Instagram.

I wake up between 6:30 - 7am everyday (unless I am running with my girlfriend then it is 6am to meet at 6:30). I like to get my exercise out of the way in the morning but sometimes, if I am too tired, I skip the morning workout and I fit it in mid-day or even after work if necessary. As long as it happens I am happy. I always listen to my body so if I am feeling too tired I go straight for the coffee instead.


Enclosed Patio Decor and Home Design Inspo

I usually start my mornings in our enclosed patio with a cup of coffee (or two, sometimes three) and my pup (who at this time refused to be photographed with me.) I read emails, articles about PR/Marketing trends, blog posts from other bloggers, and The Skimm. I also take a look at the list I created at the end of yesterday's workday and add in anything that came up overnight.  


Enclosed Patio Decor and Home Design Inspo

This part of my day is my favorite! It is calm, quiet, and just me and the dog. It gives me a moment before the day inevitably turns into nonstop emails, phone calls, meetings and everything else that comes with managing your own blog and running a Marketing/Public Relations business

Marketing, public relations and even blogging come with a lot of tight deadlines and details to stay on top of. I sometimes refer to myself as a professional juggler because there are always a lot of balls in the air in this line of work. That is why it is so important to me to start my days in a calm matter so I enter each work day with a clear and ready mindset. 

Enclosed Patio Decor and Home Design Inspo

I try to not set meetings before 10am so that I never feel rushed or overwhelmed to get out the door in the mornings. Plus, I like to have time to get some work done before walking away from my home office for what will most likely be at least a couple of hours.

Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office

Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office

Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office

On days that I am working from home with no off site meetings I spend 60% of my time at my desk (in which 100% of the time there is a cat on my lap) between the hours of 9am and 5(ish)pm. The other 40% I move around from working at the dining room table, the island in the kitchen, back in the enclosed patio or on the couch in my office. It all depends what I am working on. For instance, I love to write at my desk or at the dining room table with a cup of tea. I do a lot of my editing from the couch and I love to edit images at the island in the kitchen or on the patio because the lighting is so much better. 


Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office
Get My Casual Home Office Style:
Glasses: Warby Parker | Jeans: Calvin Klein | Top: Gap | 
Sandals: Steve Madden 

I am a huge fan of lists. I don't know how anybody gets anything done without one. 
Mavelle Media Marketing Public Relations lLifestyle Blogger Home Office

I pretty much always end the day back in our enclosed patio. Finishing emails, wrapping up projects and of course...checking my list, regrouping and prioritizing tomorrow's to-dos. 

Enclosed Patio Decor and Home Design Inspo

So there you have it...a little glimpse into what my routine as a blogger and entrepreneur working from home looks like. I told you it wasn't glamourous.

Below is my advice to current, future and hopeful entrepreneurs:
  • Schedule as many meetings, group workouts, lunches, happy hours as feasible. It doesn't matter how busy you are with work it can be lonely at times if you don't have any employees. Talking on the phone doesn't count as human interaction. 
  • Set a routine so you are optimizing your time.
  • Work Smarter Not Harder (routines and lists help ;-))
  • Take breaks! Seriously, you deserve a lunch not in front of the computer. I also will take my dog for random 10 minute walks around the block here and there. Otherwise my step count is seriously like 200 for the day. 
  • Don't beat yourself up if you sleep until 8am one day or call it quits at 3pm every now and then...after all the flexibility and freedom is one of the reasons you became an entrepreneur, right? You just probably shouldn't do it everyday...but hopefully you already knew that.
  • Keep your home clean and organized...it helps keep the mind organized.

In other news...how cute is my coworker? 

Enclosed Patio Decor and Home Design Inspo American Staffordshire Pitbull
She wouldn't get in any photos with me but she posed for this one like a champ. I guess she didn't want to share the spotlight. 


My Home Office Details:


Shop stylish home office furniture from chairs to desks and even some cute couches...it is all linked for you below. 

Don't forget the accessories to complete your stylish home office vibe by shopping the links below. I am kind of obsessed with the bookends! 



Thanks for all of your love and support. 

Because of my clients, supporters and fans I am able to continue to grow as the blogger, entrepreneur and #GirlBoss that I am. 

XO,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment