Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Closet During the Holidays

Everyone "needs" a new dress for the company holiday party, a cute top for dinner and drinks with friends, a great Christmas Eve outfit...oh, and don't forget about Christmas Day where you are sure to take a family photo that will end up all over social media. 

However, isn't this time of year all about giving? Before hitting the stores to stock your closet for the holidays go through what you already have. Pull everything out and see how you can wear it for the holidays. You may be surprised how much you don't need this holiday season. Or at least I was when I went through all of my "holiday" clothes. Below I feature some new and old holiday favorites from my closet.


Don't put your shorts away quite yet. Just add a great pair of opaque tights and wear them right through Winter. For the holidays I would opt for something sparkly, or with patterns that include reds, ivory, gold, greens and silvers, wools. For fabric choice go with wool, flannel and of course leather or suede. You can however put the linen, and cut-offs away until Summer.

Clockwise from top: Lucky Brand paired with my favorite opaque tights from SimplyVera Vera Wang, Bebe (Black/Silver/White Striped), Lauren Conrad (Silver Floral Print), Express (Sequins), H&M (Faux Leather)

Sweaters are a must for cold days and fun for the holidays and I am not talking about that "Ugly Sweater" party your are going to Saturday night. I am talking about going to lunch, work or even a party. You can pair a sweater with jeans and boots during the day while you Christmas shop, or with shorts, tights and booties for a dinner, or try a great holiday sweater (something sparkly or even a classic "not so ugly" sweater with a tight leather skirt and heels for a party. Whatever your winter style is a great sweater (or a few of them) is a must this time of year. I tend to go for something on the lose side so I can layer and be comfy...not frumpy. Again, sparkles are fun and so are winter patterns or fur and leather embellishments. 

Clockwise from top/left in center photo: H&M (Purple Fair Isle Sweater), Head Over Heels Boutique (Gold Sequins/Blue/Brown Stripes; this is a new purchase and not a great closet find), Forever 21 (Hooded Tunic), H&M (Red/Orange Isle Sweater), Forever 21 (Gold Chain Mesh and Ivory Knit), Victoria Secret (a classic cashmere v-neck), Paloosh Boutique (Preppy sweater with pearl and sequin neckline), Forever 21 (Winter swearer with faux shearling collar).

When considering which pants to wear for the holidays it is always safe to go with red jeans for daytime and red slacks for evening or for the office...done! However, I love these silk "pajama" pants and I believe every now and then you have to walk away from playing it safe. I rocked these pants at my husband's holiday party. It was bold but so worth it...the red, the gold, the silk and the leather...Hello Holiday Party! I seriously could not resist or wait to put them on...did I mention they are sooooo comfy?!

Left to right: Lauren Conrad, Bliss Boutique (another new purchase and not a great closet find), Express

And finally...tops! This is the item I admittedly buy too much of (don't tell my husband I admit it). There are so many styles of tops for the Holidays. Below I show casual, semi-dressy, fancy sequins, silk, flannel and tees. Although sequins are traditionally known for being a dressier item don't be afraid to dress them down by pairing sequins with more casual items like flannel (shown here) or torn jeans. Also, experiment a little this season by dressing up your casual wear with fancier accessories. Think denim or flannel collard top with a great statement necklace or fancy jacket. 

From top/right down: Bliss Boutique (flowers and sequins), H&M (green blouse), Bliss Boutique (red silk blouse, another new purchase and not a great closet find), Forever 21 (green blouse), J. Crew (ivory & black polka dot sequins, another new purchase and not a great closet find), Obey (reindeer tee), Old Navy (deer sweatshirt, another new purchase and not a great closet find), Urban Outfitters (Red Flannel and one of my all-time favorites and go to).

So before you shop (for yourself that is), dig through what you already have. You may find that your closet is already prepared for the holidays. 

However, tis the season to shop and I am not one to say no to that!

XO,

Jenna



No comments:

Post a Comment